Saturday, May 18, 2013

Course Application

While working through the tasks of this course I have often thought there are many things that I will try next school year.  I have also thought I would have loved to have worked on this course at a different time of the year.  State testing, final exams, and the end of the year processes have taken more of my spare time than I would like.  Thus giving me less time to work and tinker with this course.

I certainly have enjoyed the wealth of tools and resources that are a part of this course.  On my Symbaloo web mix I have links to 40 plus tools for me to consider in the future.  Allowing access to my students within this mix is also exciting.  I am hoping that I can enhance their "homework" at this point and maybe even classwork if our technology access increases in the near future.

I teach an AP World course where we write early and often!  Having the time with each kids essay to sit and discuss my written comments is impossible.  So I really like the idea of the voice thread application so I can give feedback.  It will probably take me more time......I think.........but it will be well worth it in the end.

Another favorite application is Padlet.  I was excited to try to use Padlet with my classes this year as a way of community review for an exam.  I just couldn't get the computer time in order to do it.  But I think this can be a powerful way of increasing the community environment inside of my classroom and from home as well.

I think one of my most pressing concerns about all this digital enhancement to classrooms comes from my concern for my own children first.  Too much screen time is not a good thing.  My wife and I regulate how much TV, computer, ITouch, etc....  I am concerned that if I send my kid to school with a highly integrated digital curriculum that their screen time will easily hit 6, 7, 8 hours per day.  That I am not sure is a good idea.  So to be honest with myself and my few blog readers....I am not sure that all digital all the time is the way to go.

2 comments:

  1. I would have to agree that this is a rough time of the year to take this course. However, with testing wrapping up and over two weeks of school let, I am hoping to incorporated some new things in my classroom.
    I feel this is a great time for me to use/try out some of these new tools.
    I also understand your concern about screen time. As a parent, I have always tried to limited the sitting playing games, watching TV or being on the computer. I know that technology integration is very important, but I do worry about the amount of time students are not physically active. I want to encourage active learning and meet students needs by using technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I was cut off in the middle of that.
    With going to one to one devices this year, I have heard a lot of parents complain about this. This has been a learning experience for our school this year. I hope that we are able to use the knowledge to provide students a wonderful learning tool and not a communication/social/game device.

    ReplyDelete